This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mileage Reimbursement in CA California

I need clarification on when an employee is entitled to be reimbursed for miles. We have employees who: 1) report to an office on a daily basis and, 2) employees who do not report to an office and drive straight to their work location/site.

My understanding is that we must reimburse employees for mileage driven for work excluding the mileage driven commuting from home to work. I have several scenarios listed below. I would really appreciate if someone could help identify non-commute miles in the scenarios below.

Scenario 1: Employee reports to office on a daily basis. Employee is on his way home (from office) and makes a mail drop which is approximately 0.5 mile in the opposite direction of their home.

1. Would the employee be entitled to 1 mile (0.5 mile to mail drop box and 0.5 mile back to normal commute route) of mileage reimbursement?

Scenario 2: Employee is on his way home and makes a mail drop which is on the employee’s way home (employee would not have to deviate from his normal commute route home).

2. Would the employee be entitled to be reimbursed for the miles to mail drop box or any miles?

Scenario 3: Employee lives 35 miles from office and reports to the office each work day. The employee attends an all day seminar on Tuesday and drives to the seminar straight from home. Once the seminar is done the employee drives home. The seminar is 25 miles from the employee’s home.

1. Is the employee entitled to be reimbursed for any miles?

2. Would the employee be entitled to be reimbursed for mileage if the miles from the employee’s home to the seminar location were 40 miles?

Scenario 4: Employee lives 35 miles form the office and reports to the office each work day. The employee attends a 2 hour seminar on Tuesday and drives to the seminar straight from home. There are 25 miles from the employee’s home to the seminar location and 10 miles from the seminar to the office. Once the seminar is done the employee drives to the office.

1. Is the employee entitled to be reimbursed for mileage?

2. What if there were 37 miles between the employee’s home and the seminar location and 10 miles from the seminar location to the office?
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X