Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Claiming unemployment from 2 employers ago... California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Claiming unemployment from 2 employers ago... California

    I was laid off back in late March 2008 and received severance payment through end of June. In late April of 2008 , I accepted a position with a new employer, however, this position is not working out and I am planning on leaving voluntarily.

    My question is - Is it possible for me to apply for unemployment insurance from the employer that laid me off (I do not intend for the claim to fall under the current employer since I am leaving voluntarily)?

    I am beyond ready to quit this current job (I'm miserable here), but want to figure out the finances first because I am taking a chance by quitting without securing a new position.


  • #2
    Your chances of receiving any unemployment benefits from any employer is extremely slim to none if you resign.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.


    • #3
      Nor do you get to decide which employer gets charged.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      • #4
        California labor law attorney

        A lay off should get you unemployment insurance.
        "California Wage and Hour Class Action Attorneys"

        Disclaimer: The above correspondence does not constitute legal advice nor establish an attorney-client relationship. You should seek the advice of independent legal counsel before relying upon, acting upon or not acting upon any information contained in this correspondence.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.