This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Pay Dates California

We normally are paid on the 15 and the 31 of each month but recently we were told that we would be changing that to
    15th paycheck 1st paycheck
    /26 - /10 /11 - /25

We were told on the 20 via email that this coming check would cut off on the 25. this will make our check 4 days short. Is this reasonable notice of a change?

Also, since I am paid a salary, would my $$ amount change at all or would I just get the same amount as usual, since my pay isn't based on days?

thank you
    Imemine

I take it that you were previously being paid "current" (the check on the 15th paid for the 1-15 and the check on the 31st paid for 16-31), is that right?

Now you will be paid in arrears, the 26th thru the 10th of the following month paid on the 15th and the 11th through the 25th paid on the 1st of the following month, if I understand correctly.

So, on the 15th, you were paid through the 15th. Your next check will be on the 1st and you will be paid from the 16th through the 25th, right?

Let's say, for the sake of simplicity, you earn $52,000 per year or the equivalent of $1,000 per week. For the cutover paycheck, you are owed 1 week plus one day, or $1,000 plus 1/5 of $1,000 or $1,200. From then on out, it will revert to $2166.67 ($52,000 / 24 pay periods).

I have not been able to find any law or Labor Code section that requires a certain amount of notice for a pay date change.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 08-22-2008, 11:18 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

thank you for the response. Is there anything I can show my employer that would state this?

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
        Let's say, for the sake of simplicity, you earn $52,000 per year or the equivalent of $1,000 per week. For the cutover paycheck, you are owed 1 week plus one day, or $1,000 plus 1/5 of $1,000 or $1,200. From then on out, it will revert to $2166.67 ($52,000 / 24 pay periods). .

This is going to be a financial hardship to me. Is there anything I can do?

Comment

You can ask for an advance maybe. I agree, it would be a hardship for me at this moment, too, and I also agree that the proper thing for them to have done would have been to give a LOT more notice. Poor management and terrible (I can imagine) for employee morale.

Before we get too bothered though, have they explained how they are going to calculate pay for the short pay period? I'm assuming when you say "salaried", you mean exempt.

There is nothing specific I can give you except the FLSA salary basis regulation series. You will note that everything there is quoted as "weekly salary" or "per week".
          http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR541.602.htm
          Last edited by Pattymd; 08-22-2008, 11:37 AM.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Before we get too bothered though, have they explained how they are going to calculate pay for the short pay period? I'm assuming when you say "salaried", you mean exempt.

They have explained nothing. Just an email saying they are changing it. I've worked for the senior partner for almost 25 years. The new partner is changing everything. And since the new guy resents anything to do with me being here, he rarely answers any of my emails asking for clarification

Comment

I'd ask the senior partner you have the relationship with, if he's still there.

"You know new-guy-who-wants-to-change-everything-without-any-notice-and-p!$$-off-the-employees" (Or Mr. Name), can you have someone explain how our check is going on the first is going to be calculated? There are a lot of questions flying around and employees are disgruntled because we feel we have no information."

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X