Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Angry former Employee California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by SVA View Post
    I think I know the answer...
    If you think you are the target of a lawsuit, you should retain a labor lawyer in your are for specific, ongoing advice. In the meantime, a few to chew on:

    1. California residents have a constitutional right to privacy. Consider this carefully before giving one employee access to another employee's personnel file.

    2. An employee is generally NOT entitled to a copy of his/her personnel file - only access to it. An employee is, however, entitled to receive copies of documents he/she signed.

    Leave a comment:

  • DAW
    Anyone can "request" anything. I can request that your company give me a million dollars. However I can think of no legal reason what-so-ever why your company would want to give one employee a different employee's file unless a court told you to.

    Leave a comment:

  • SVA
    started a topic Angry former Employee California

    Angry former Employee California

    Today we received a request letter from a former employee (A) for their personal file, another employee's (B) file, phone conversation tapes, and incident reports involving this employee A and the employee B.
    Employee A was terminated based on violations of company polices and after formal warnings of their performance.

    Employee B was involved in an heated exchange with employee A, unrelated to the grounds of termination.

    I think I know the answer, but can employee A request the items w/o a subpoena? I believe employee A is trying to build a case against employee B and that she was wrongful terminated because of employee B. Thanks!
The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.