Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Timely employee reimbursements California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Timely employee reimbursements California

    My husband's employer takes 2-3 months to get employee reimbursement checks issued (for mileage and travel expenses). Can they take as long as they want or is there some required legal timeline?

  • #2
    Here's the applicable labor code. See Section 2802.

    As you can see, the code does not specify a time frame. I agree, however, that 2-3 months is unreasonable. There is no reason the employer should not be able to process the reimbursement within 3-4 weeks (or less).

    I would suggest contacting the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and asking this question, i.e., how long should I be required to wait for reimbursement. As you might also have noticed in the code, if you file a claim for failure to reimburse, and the DLSE orders the company to pay, you are entitled to accrued interest.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    • #3
      It may be unreasonable, but it is pretty common. Expect it to take longer to have your case wind through the DLSE than that.
      Megan E. Ross, Esq.
      Law Offices of Michael Tracy

      Disclaimer: The above response is a general statement of the law and should not be relied upon as legal advice. It only assumes the facts that are stated in the message. The above response does not serve to form an attorney-client relationship.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.