Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

meal allowance California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • meal allowance California

    Is there any law about meal allowance, what is reasonable, what should be covered etc?

  • #2
    There are laws pertaining to meal periods in California. Without directly quoting the law, here is a brief guideline: if an employee works more than 5 hours per day, a 30 minute meal period is to be provided, unless the employee works no more than 6 hours. In addition, a 10 minute PAID rest break must be provided every 4 hours worked. So, if employee x works from 9 am to 5 pm, that employee is entitled to a 30 minute unpaid meal break and (I hope I have this part correct) two 10 minute paid rest periods. BUT, if employee x is working 9 am to 2:30 pm, the employee is only entitled to a 10 minute paid rest period.

    you may obtain complete law regarding the meal periods in California Labor Code Section 512 (just google it)


    • #3
      It sounded to me like the OP was asking about the amount that can be deducted from pay for being provided with a meal, am I understanding this correctly?

      if so you can find that information here
      Last edited by christamcd; 09-22-2006, 09:05 PM.


      • #4
        Meal Allowance

        If a company requires you to travel and says they will cover meal that are resonable and customary, is there any laws that pertain to this?


        • #5
          Instead of making us guess what kind of laws you're talking about, suppose you tell us exactly what your employer has done that you think violates the law.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


          • #6
            Company Policies

            It's probably in their company policies somewhere what they do allow.

            I am not sure that it is "required" though. Although, I believe (don't quote me there) that if they don't cover it, some of it may be tax deductable at the end of the year.


            The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.