This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Vacation Pay When Company Closes California

I have about a month's worth of vacation time accrued at my company. The company is in the process of being sold and there is a great possibility that the company will close entirely, or there will be massive layoffs.

Rumors have spread that our vacation time is no longer protected, as the new owner could choose not to honor the time accrued.

Is this correct? Can the amount of vacation time I've accrued be lost and I would lose any payout of vacation time?

The new owner would be under no obligation to honor the vacation time accrued. He could choose to with the employees written authorization. The sale is treated like a termination, ie it is your employers obligation the pay all wages due. If they do not, file a wage claim with the DLSE and/or consult with some employment lawyers (class action?)

the company will close entirely, or there will be massive layoffs.
    If the above happens you MAY qualify under the warn act.
    I have been interested in employment rights for some time, however I am not a lawyer. Always consult with an attorney, as they are more knowledgeable.

Comment

We have received letters in the mail referencing the WARN act and that their is the possibility of layoffs as soon as early October, but didn't say that it was going to happen for certain.

Would they then be liable to pay us for 60 days? As stated in the act, it indicates we must receive 60 days notice.

Thanks for your insight.

Comment

If you qualify.
        http://www.edd.ca.gov/eddwarn.htm
        I have been interested in employment rights for some time, however I am not a lawyer. Always consult with an attorney, as they are more knowledgeable.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X