This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• san diego CA: work related stress?? California

I work in call center for big utility co. I started as a temp in 1989,and became perm in 1994. lately, there has been a big turn over in our dept.Reps out on stress, femla, or being fired for to many absentisims or poor performance, Im constantly see new hires. This a high pressure job. So many added changes in our job discription which make it even more difficult to keep up, that now for the first time ever, I was put on a performance impovemant plan for 30days or terminated. That pressure there alone has gotten me sick,nervous, anxiety attacks, short attention span, you name it.

I really dont think I will make it, so my question is: Can I get on temporary disability after I get terminated? I know I will need it for the stress and to work on my fears of feeling incompetent in working. Since this pressure in my job has now got me doubting my self worth and creditbility
    Last edited by rarellan; 09-17-2006, 09:20 AM. Reason: add another sentence

I don't think stress is considered a disability, and once you are not there, the stress factor will be gone (other than the NORMAL stress of finding a new job). Sorry! Good luck!

Comment

Filing for unemployment would be a better option. Even though the employer will fire you for poor performance, that would not automatically make you ineligible. While I do know of CA stress disability cases, getting a doctor to consider you totally disabled (especially, as turbowray points out, when the source of the stress is gone) would be more difficult than standard unemployment.

Comment

Have you considered the obvious alternative of seeking employment elsewhere? No job is worth being miserable.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

san diego CA: work related stress?? California

Originally posted by turbowray
          I don't think stress is considered a disability, and once you are not there, the stress factor will be gone (other than the NORMAL stress of finding a new job). Sorry! Good luck!
          thank you for your response. Its wasnt very helpful, but what can I say? It is reality!

Comment

san diego CA: work related stress?? California

Originally posted by tdpass1
            Filing for unemployment would be a better option. Even though the employer will fire you for poor performance, that would not automatically make you ineligible. While I do know of CA stress disability cases, getting a doctor to consider you totally disabled (especially, as turbowray points out, when the source of the stress is gone) would be more difficult than standard unemployment.
            Thank you for response. I will be seeing a doctor soon for stress disability and my anxiety attacks. I dont want to go on total disability. Im sure there are other opportunities out there, that is my plan to work out with a therapist. I really dont believe I will ever work for another call center again.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X