Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Severence Agreement California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Severence Agreement California

    I was recently laid off from a California company. Do to my position the terms for my severance included a "transition" period. After the successful completion of this I would be paid my severance. They have since extended this time for another 30 days. I have already successfully transferred all my responsibilities as well as my staff to new management, as per the agreement, and have nothing to do.

    Since there have been upper management changes and there is talk, not with me personally, about "keeping" me on in some capacity. My question is since the letter they provided me with the terms for the severance package did not include any verbiage about the possibility of another position am I required to accept what ever they offer or risk losing my severance? Would this be a contract issue rather than a labor law issue? If I do accept the position they offer are they still contractually bound to pay me my severance since my old position is no longer available?
    Last edited by jradster; 09-14-2006, 01:04 PM.

  • #2
    Please hold your severance agreement up close to the monitor so we can read it.

    The law does not require that you be granted severance at all, so it's going to depend entirely on the wording of the agreement.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.