This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay cut below than when I started California

Hi, this is a twisted one to me, but I hope you all can help me out. Thanks in advance. I started my job in the email department back in Oct. at $14 hourly. In December, I was promoted to a supervisor and was placed on salary. In May, my position as a supervisor was dissolved and they converted my salary pay to hourly ($17). They wanted me to head up a new group, but due to mom and aunt having breast cancer, I told them I would not be able to focus my efforts on this new project and I asked to change my schedule to M-F, so that I can spend the weekends with them. My company not only changed my schedule, but moved me to the email department I started with (at $14) and cut my pay to $12!!! I didn't ask to move departments, I simply said I didn't want to take on more responsibility at this time. Sorry this is so wordy, I needed to get it off my chest. Can they cut my pay just like that? And to less than what I started at?

As long as you received prior notice of the cut, before you worked the hours at the reduced rate, and assuming you don't have an enforceable employment contract that prohibits it, it's perfectly legal.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Patty. I was wondering, can they demote me without any reason? While I did state to my manager I have personal issues within my family going on presently, in no way did I ask to have responsibilties taken away from me, I just didn't want to take on a new project. I feel like because I didn't take on this new project for the company, they are punishing me now by demoting me. I was told I was being back to my email dept. to take stress away from me at work. Umm, they cut my pay.. tell me that's not taking stress away...sorry... little I didn't ask to be moved from my current position. I can't believe they can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess214
        Thanks for the reply Patty. I was wondering, can they demote me without any reason? While I did state to my manager I have personal issues within my family going on presently, in no way did I ask to have responsibilties taken away from me, I just didn't want to take on a new project. I feel like because I didn't take on this new project for the company, they are punishing me now by demoting me. I was told I was being back to my email dept. to take stress away from me at work. Umm, they cut my pay.. tell me that's not taking stress away...sorry... little I didn't ask to be moved from my current position. I can't believe they can do this.
        Unfortunately, I do not see any law being broke by them demoting you. They can do this legally. I am so sorry they decided to do this.

Comment

There are no laws being violated.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate it alot.

Comment

anytime!

Originally posted by Princess214
              Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate it alot.
              Sorry we couldn't offer more positive news!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X