This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA 7th day rule California

My employers work week is Sun - Sat and the work day begins and ends at midnight. If I am working the night shift (10p-6:30a) and work five days in a a week, but not consecutively, such that I have hours in each day of the week - do I qualify for OT for any hours worked in the seventh day of the work week?
    Last edited by nxtinline; 08-21-2006, 03:59 PM. Reason: error

If you work all 7 days in the workweek, you are entitled to 1.5 times your regular rate of pay for the first 8 hours in the workday and double time for all hours in excess of 8 on that day. It is irrelevant that your total hours for the week may not exceed 40.
    http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Overtime.htm
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

???

Originally posted by nxtinline
      My employers work week is Sun - Sat and the work day begins and ends at midnight. If I am working the night shift (10p-6:30a) and work five days in a a week, but not consecutively, such that I have hours in each day of the week - do I qualify for OT for any hours worked in the seventh day of the work week?
      You say you work 5 days, but not consecutively?

Comment

If you work, for example
        Sun
        10pm-12am
        Mon
        12am-6:30am
        Tue
        10pm-12am
        Wed
        Thur
        10pm-12am
        Fri
        Sat
        10pm-12am
        You would get overtime for the 2 hours on Saturday.
        Megan E. Ross, Esq.
        Law Offices of Michael Tracy
        http://www.gotovertime.com

Disclaimer: The above response is a general statement of the law and should not be relied upon as legal advice. It only assumes the facts that are stated in the message. The above response does not serve to form an attorney-client relationship.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. As you might have guessed I work in a health care facility. Can the employer use the start of the employees primary shift as the beginning of the work day (ie. 06:30am, 2:30pm or 10:30pm), or must it be the same time for all employees regardless of shift worked?

Comment

It must be consistent for all employees, I think (but I haven't checked on this). It doesn't have to be 12am, though. The employer would be better off picking one of the shift change times--very few people will "cross-over" from one work day to the next if the day starts at 6:30am.
            Megan E. Ross, Esq.

Disclaimer: The above response is a general statement of the law and should not be relied upon as legal advice. It only assumes the facts that are stated in the message. The above response does not serve to form an attorney-client relationship.

Comment

The definition of the workweek needn't be the same for all employees under the FLSA. However, it is REALLY an administrative nightmare to do it any other way.
              http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR778.105.htm

And, although the letter of the law is that a workweek must begin at a date/time certain, I do know of employers that use the shift schedule to determine the workweek. I'm not saying I agree with that, I'm just saying it isn't unusual, especially with 24/7 operations. Honestly, unless that results in less pay than would be due if the law was adhered to literally, the DLSE is not likely to find a violation.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks, Patty!
                Megan E. Ross, Esq.

Comment

Seventh strait day

Lets say I start on a tues, on my seventh striat day, does this rule apply?

Comment

When does the workweek begin? Not YOUR schedule, but the workweek as defined by the employer?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X