This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay for Mandatory meeting Alabama

My husband was required to attend a meeting for work in Atlanta today. Keep in mind he works out of Birmingham. He is an hourly paid employee and the meeting he is attending is for employer benefits only and not required for state licensing or anything. This is a normal off day for my husband, but he had to go this meeting today and they are not paying him for any hours worked or traveled. The only thing they are compensating him for is gas, is this not wrong?

It's kind of backwards. They don't have to pay for his gas. Under normal circumstances, since this is his non-scheduled work day, they don't have to pay him for travel time either. How much of a drive is it? They do have to pay him for his time attending the meeting.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Well, from Birmingham, AL. to Atlanta, GA. it's about 2 1/2 hours, although due to Atlanta traffic, it was a 3 1/2 hour drive just to get over there and it will be that on the way back also. 45 minutes is his normal one-way trip drive time to work, so there is a significant difference there.

Comment

Generally speaking, travel on a non-scheduled workday is not compensable.
        http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.35.htm
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The only thing is, it was a significant difference from his normal travel time and it was mandatory he went, so why he shouldn't he be paid travel time minus normal workday travel. It was in another state, and no other transportation method was offered. Just by my interpretation, I would think it would be considered a Special One Day Assignment according to this:
          http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs22.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            they don't have to pay him for travel time either.
            ?? He is driving. They must pay. If he was flying or taking a bus or taxi, that would be different.
            Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

But this is not his regularly scheduled work day, Scott.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X