This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hours Worked and Breaks Alabama

Hello. This may be all over the place and I missed it. So, please forgive me if this has been answered a thousand times.

In the place I work, they are on us about clocking out for lunch breaks.

According to our handbook, our lunch breaks are counted as time worked.

They tell us it is for federal compliance purposes. Is there some federal law that we have to clock out after so many hours worked for a break?

Is there some federal law that we have to clock out after so many hours worked for a break? No, but your employer is required to keep an accurate record of all hours worked for non-exempt (hourly paid) employees.

(1) How long are your lunch breaks?

(2) Even though they make you clock out, are you paid for them?

Comment

Is there some federal law that we have to clock out after so many hours worked for a break? No, but your employer is required to keep an accurate record of all hours worked for non-exempt (hourly paid) employees. - I'm a salaried employee.

(1) How long are your lunch breaks? According to the manual, 30 minutes.

(2) Even though they make you clock out, are you paid for them? According the handbook you are, but when we get a copy of our Time Sheet you do not see it added back in to the sheet.

Comment

If the break lasts at least 20 minutes and is uninterrupted, the company has no legal obligation to pay for the break.

I realize your company policy is generous in that it allows for paid breaks. Setting aside your timesheet, does your pay check include the paid meal time? If not, I'd recommend discussing this matter with your boss or HR. Either should be able to clarify your company's policy OR show you how it "really" works.

And just as a point of reference, Alabama labor code does not require private employers to offer meal breaks or rest breaks for adult workers.

Comment

I don't have a problem with getting a break. However, there is no state/federal law for a business to require their employees to clock out for break?

Comment

The law is not that specific.

The requirement to clock out for breaks is a work rule. It's absolutely fine for your boss/company to require this. In fact it's quite common.

The disparity that you describe is not one of law. It's one of company policy. Unfortunately this will need to be addressed internally; since the pay practice you describe is more generous than that required by law.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X