This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air quality

What agency or department should be called if a building has a bad chemical smell? It may be from adjacent tenants smoking, cleaning chemicals or plumbing. We cannot determine the exact smell. It Smells like stale stagnant smoke, but the chemical smell is the most prominent. It causes red eyes, allergy symptoms and sore throats. We are concerned about the health of the employees.

None of the other locations have this smell, so we believe that it is due to the bar next door, building, wiring or pluming problem. Are there any tests for air quality available to the public?
    Last edited by TM1; 03-18-2008, 10:40 PM.

If you need an immediate test contact a service in your area that performs air monitoring and analyzing.

What state are you in ?
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

I am in Florida. We have contacted the City to see if they can do any tests or give any recommendations.

Comment

If this is a serious problem I urge you to pay for testing. Governmental agencies are notoriously slow in responding in non life threatening situations.

Florida does not have a state plan so Fed. OSHA would also be able to help, however again it all depends on how fast you need answers.

There is no easy way to find contaminates unless you have an idea of what you're looking for.
        "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

There was a recent issue about this in my state.

A new business in the town complained about the aroma from an existing coffee manufacturer next door. To me, that is like buying a house by an airport and then complaining about the noise.

You can check to see if the offending company is violating any city, state or federal laws.

If they are not violating those laws, I really don't see any recourse but to relocate.
          Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

When we opened the store it was a new construction. The bar moved in a year later and the smell started soon after. The smell and allergic reactions have been increasing steadily over the last year and a half. The complaints differ based on the temperature, humidity and employee, but have been increasing. There is only one employee in the store at a time and their tolerance levels are different.

I am starting to believe that it is more than cigarette smoke. It could possibly sick building syndrome, a gas or plumbing problem on top of the smoke. Our building smells much worse than the actual bar and it is reportedly worse in the morning. Outside the front of the building also smells. The bar has a two hour fire wall, two fire eaters, and is using a special wall calk and cleaners in the building.

We have added air purifiers and other products to combat the issue, but it keeps getting worse. I am trying figure out what other possibilities may exist. I don’t know how concerned to be, because I do not know for sure what is causing the smell. I do know that I have been in smoking bars, both before and after closing and have never smelled anything this strong.

Comment

Contact OSHA and see what they say.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Hi...!!!
                It is the big problem for your employees health so u just concern the health department and lounge a campaign for the medical check up and also solve that problem of smell also....
                Last edited by cbg; 06-28-2008, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TM1 View Post
                  What agency or department should be called if a building has a bad chemical smell? It may be from adjacent tenants smoking, cleaning chemicals or plumbing. We cannot determine the exact smell. It Smells like stale stagnant smoke, but the chemical smell is the most prominent. It causes red eyes, allergy symptoms and sore throats. We are concerned about the health of the employees.

None of the other locations have this smell, so we believe that it is due to the bar next door, building, wiring or pluming problem. Are there any tests for air quality available to the public?
                  This sounds like a meth lab, with the chemicals being dumped down the sewer.

What kind of bar is it?

If this is still happening, ask for a police officer to come out in the AM and evaluate. It could be that the "night shift" has a side business.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X