Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In NJ does Twin Pregnancy = more paid time off??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In NJ does Twin Pregnancy = more paid time off??

I am 21 weeks pregnant with twins, and I am wondering if in the state of NJ Do you receive more paid time than just the standard 4 weeks before and 6-8 weeks after paid through disability? I know I can take the family leave act at the end of my disability, but I also know this is an unpaid leave. Can anyone help me? Thanks!!

You only get off more than the standard times you mention if a doctor certifies you need to be off because of medical necessity. With twins it is not unusual to need more time off on either end because of medical issues. Talk to your doctor, only they can advise you and certify any medical leave if needed.

I'm confused by your comment "I can take the family leave act at the end of my disability." The unpaid leave under FMLA runs at the same time as your disability leave so they do not run consecutively. You get a total of 12 weeks off.

-s

Comment

You get a total of 12 weeks however NJ Law and FMLA have slightly different criteria so if you are subject to both, and go out earlier for your own health issue prior to giving birth, you could wind up taking more than just 12 weeks.

See here for details on how the two compare www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/fmla/nj.htm
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Under the State's STD plan, you can get more time off than the standard 4 weeks before the expected delivery date and six 6 weeks after the actual delivery date upon certification by your doctor that:

You experience specific complications related to pregnancy;

You undergo a Caesarian section;

You have another simultaneous disability;

You are physically unable to do your regular job

Additionally, between the FMLA and the NJMLA you can get up to a total of 24 weeks off (12 before and 12 after). You may get STD benefits for most of that time, again depending on the reason you are out.

Good Luck and Congrats!!!!

Regards.
        Last edited by LaborLawNJ; 03-07-2006, 08:18 AM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X