This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused in RI

Hello I am a 24, a recent graduate and Preggers . I worked for my college till the last moments of my Education and left shortly after graduation (you cant have the position I had if your not a student). I have had a horrible battle with morning sickness that lasted till now, which is my fourth month. I am now searching for jobs.

Heres where I need the help. I didn't want to be sneaky and not tell my potential employer that I was 4months pregnant. They all loved me, till the second interview when I dropped the bomb. None of those places that were OH so estatic over my resume, hired me. Now Im not telling potential employers that I am pregnant.
    If I get hired ...
    1.) Can they fire me off the bat once I tell them I am preganant? Cause I intend to the moment I am hired.
    2.) Since I wont be with them for 12 months and all those required hours, are there any laws out there that will protect me?
    (This is all for big companies which have ALOT of workers)

I just want my job back when I am okay to return to work. Im not expecting pay while im out. Just hoping for job security. Anyone who has any information Id love your help!

~Micha~

1.) Can they fire me off the bat once I tell them I am preganant? Cause I intend to the moment I am hired. No, not unless they'd fire any other newly hired employee who told them upon being hired that he had a medical condition which would require leave time several months down the road. Even then, it would be an extremely risky thing for the employer to do.

2.) Since I wont be with them for 12 months and all those required hours, are there any laws out there that will protect me? You won't be entitled to any statutory leave but you will be protected by the Pregnancy Discrimination Act which requires your employer to treat you no less favorably than any other similarly situated but non-pregnant employee. Whether your employer then has to extend any leave time to you and reinstate you to your job becomes a matter of company policy.

I understand why you're relucant to tell prospective employers you're pregnant; on the other hand, dropping that bomb ("I'm X months pregnant and will require 8 weeks off work in several months time") right after you're hired isn't likely to get you off to a good start with your new employer.

Comment

RI does provide temporary disability benefits for pregnancy while you are on leave. Your health care provider will need to certify that you are unable to work. I am not sure you would qualify with the base pay requirements based on your college job, but you may want to contact them. Some of the time at a new employer would potentially count toward the benefit as well.

Here is some info: http://www.dlt.ri.gov/tdi/tdifaqs.htm

Comment

Is RI an "at will state" if so they can fire you for whatever reason they please.
        Also when one signs all that paper work at the time employment is pffered and acepted some places have a clause in there about employment being terminated if there was information that should have been brought to the employers attention by the new employee and the new hire intentionally with held said information.

It is somewhat of a grey area.

best wishes and good luck and above all CONGRATS!

Comment

Actually, it's not as grey as all that.

Yes, RI is an at-will state, as is every other state except Montana (and even including Montana in some situations). That means an employee can quit at any time and for any reason, and the employer can fire him/her at any time and for any reason that does not violate the law.

Firing someone because they are pregnant DOES violate the law.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X