Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

What happens if baby is overdue? (California) California

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What happens if baby is overdue? (California) California

    In CA, I know that you are eligible for 4 weeks of disability insurance (DI) before birth, and then 6-8 weeks after birth (depending on whether you have a vaginal or C-section birth).

    What happens if your baby is overdue by one week? Even if baby is a week late, i assume you still get DI benefits for the full 4 weeks since the first week was an unpaid 7-day waiting period? Is that correct? Now, what about if you're overdue by 2 weeks? Will you still receive DI benefits for all of the time before baby was born?

  • #2
    If you are still certified as disabled per your doctor, you should still receive benefits.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


    • #3

      I’m pregnant and wonder if I can file a claim for State Disability Insurance (SDI) benefits? If so, for how long?
      Yes. The usual disability period for a NORMAL pregnancy is up to four weeks before the expected delivery date and up to six weeks after the actual delivery. However, your physician/practitioner may certify to a longer period if the delivery is by Cesarean section, if there are medical complications, or if you are unable to perform your regular or customary job duties.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.