X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when does FMLA begin ? Pennsylvania

I think I know answer but then again I may be wrong as to when FMLA begins

Local public school teacher contracts are 12 month..but teaching year is 180 days and last day of school is about June 17 , next year begins about Aug 22 . Technically contracts run July 1 to next June 30 which is also the school fiscal year for 500 out of 501 districts in PA.

Tenured teacher has baby about July 1 and properly requests FMLA with all the paperwork ..well in advance ....when does FMLA begin?
    her request is to begin it Aug 22
    Administration says it must begin July 1

Who is more likely right?

It begins with the first day for which she is scheduled to work and does not report due to a FMLA qualifying reason. For most 10 month teachers, that is going to be August 22(ish). If she is a 12 month teacher or for other reasons works July and August, it starts the first day she misses.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Agree. It wouldn't start 7-1 if she isn't scheduled to work then/wouldn't work then.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks...I was pretty sure that was the rule.. But current views greatly appreciated!

Comment

You're welcome.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Straight from the Regs (emphasis mine)

ยง825.601 Special rules for school employees, limitations on intermittent leave.

(a) Leave taken for a period that ends with the school year and begins the next semester is leave taken consecutively rather than intermittently. The period during the summer vacation when the employee would not have been required to report for duty is not counted against the employee's FMLA leave entitlement. An instructional employee who is on FMLA leave at the end of the school year must be provided with any benefits over the summer vacation that employees would normally receive if they had been working at the end of the school year.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thanks for the actual reference point....

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X