This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy -NJ- STD and FLI with new employer New Jersey

I'm employed full-time in NJ. I've used both STD and FLI for the births of my two children. My husband and I are currently trying to conceive. My job is good and stable, but I would definitely like a change for many reasons that don't really matter for the sake of this forum. I've been putting off looking for a new job until after we have our next child, so that I would be covered by STD and FLI.

But reading the requirements, now I'm not sure I need to wait. The wording for both STD and FLI states:

In order to establish a valid family leave claim, you must have employment with a New Jersey covered employer and earn a certain amount of wages . The wage requirement is either:

$145 or more per week during 20 calendar weeks in the base year; or
    $7,300 or more during the base year

The "Base Year" period is the 52 weeks immediately before the week in which your family leave began. Only New Jersey covered wages earned during the base year period can be used to establish a valid claim.
    My current employer participates in the state plan. And I'm sure that whatever job I would potentially get, would be in the state plan. Assuming no breaks in employment, is it safe for me to start searching for a new job? Or do I need to wait?
    Last edited by Betty3; 08-15-2012, 01:44 AM.

STD/FLI is only income replacement. You would also need to look at NJ FLA which does have the 1 year requirement for that time to be protected (but does not deal with how you are paid).

Comment

It would all depend on when you got pregnant, when you became unable to work due to that pregnancy and when you started the new job (assuming the new job is part of the state plan).

The above poster has a good point as well that pay while you are off is only part of the equation. If you haven't been with the new employer for a full year, that will affect how much leave you can take for the pregnancy and birth.

Only you and your family can decide what must take priority.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

NJ SDI & NJ PFL ("FLI") is just income you receive while on leave.

How much leave/job protected leave you get depends on various factors.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X