Pregnancy/ Maternity laws in the state of GA Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy/ Maternity laws in the state of GA Georgia

My wife is a teacher at a private school in Georgia. She was due in April with our First Child. She worked until the end of March. During this time, she was informed verbally that her contract would be renewed for the next year. We recieved notification from the school last week that notified her that her contract would not be renewed. Do we have any claims via the pregnancy discrimination act? The school has more than 15 employees, and is not affiliated wit the state in any way.

What reason was given for the non-renewal? Does her contract guarantee renewal?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
      What reason was given for the non-renewal? Does her contract guarantee renewal?
      Her contract does not guarantee renewal, it is a year to year evaluation. There was no specific reason given, only that they've chosen not to renew the contract.

Comment

Why do you believe it was due to her pregnancy that they didn't renew the contract & not another reason?
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Gut instinct? Lol

This happened before with another employee, however there was one other employee who was pregnant that came back, so it's not a consistent thing, which I know can hurt us. The only thing that makes sense is pregnancy, as the parents have consistently told management that my wife is a great teacher, and she has had no complaints against her. Also is there any implied contract laws due to them notifying her that she would have a contract verbally before telling her in writing she wouldn't?

Comment

At the time they initially told her that they were going to renew it, did they know she was pregnant?
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

At the time they initially told her that they were going to renew it, did they know she was pregnant?
              Yes they did, we informed them in November

Comment

Then I think she (there is no "we" here - you have no standing to participate in your wife's employment) is going to have a hard time showing that her pregnancy was the reason for the failure to renew. Particularly where other pregnant employees have been renewed.

Is she a member of a union?

Comment

Then I think she (there is no "we" here - you have no standing to participate in your wife's employment) is going to have a hard time showing that her pregnancy was the reason for the failure to renew. Particularly where other pregnant employees have been renewed.

Is she a member of a union?
                  She is not

Comment

Based on what you posted, I don't think she has much of a case here for pregnancy discrimination.
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Agreed. I work in the education sector as well and while I can't say that pregnancy discrimination is impossible, given that the majority of employees-especially teachers- are women of child bearing age, it is unlikely. Finding good teachers is hard enough and if you eliminate all those who got pregnant, you'd have a lot of unsupervised classrooms.

I'd suggest she ask the administrator at the school why she was not being renewed. Could be enrollment is down (a common occurance among schools which charge tuition in a poor economy), she is low man on the totem pole and someone needed to go, there were performance problems, a complaining parent/staff member/donor, the courses she teaches are not offered or they aready have sufficient staff to cover them, she makes more than most and they need to cut costs or any number of other reasons.
                      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
                        Agreed. I work in the education sector as well and while I can't say that pregnancy discrimination is impossible, given that the majority of employees-especially teachers- are women of child bearing age, it is unlikely. Finding good teachers is hard enough and if you eliminate all those who got pregnant, you'd have a lot of unsupervised classrooms.

I'd suggest she ask the administrator at the school why she was not being renewed. Could be enrollment is down (a common occurance among schools which charge tuition in a poor economy), she is low man on the totem pole and someone needed to go, there were performance problems, a complaining parent/staff member/donor, the courses she teaches are not offered or they aready have sufficient staff to cover them, she makes more than most and they need to cut costs or any number of other reasons.
                        On a follow up, my wife was looking through stuff to include with resumes (letters of recommendation, etc) and she has a letter when one of the other Kindergarten teachers left stating that " Ms. XXXX (my wife) will be back with us in August". This was after my wife had informed them she was pregnant. Would that affect it?

Comment

I don't see how. If anything it weakens your case that it is because she was preganant and makes it much more likely that the non-renewal was for some other reason.
                          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Agree, don't see how that would make a difference - sorry.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X