Maternity Leave at Small Business in California California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maternity Leave at Small Business in California California

Hello, I work for a company in California with 5 FTE employees, no vacation or sick time policy -- no official HR policies at all. We do not have an HR person. Everything I find online talks about companies over 50 employees. I know there was a change to the California law in 2012.

I am 5 weeks pregnant and will have been working for the company for over 1 year.
    - What am I legally entitled to regarding leave, timing, pay and protections under these circumstances?
    - What is considered disability due to pregnancy?
    - There is no place for expressing breast milk other than a bathroom stall. Is a small business required to provide a suitable location?
    - Is there anything else I should keep in mind or research?

Your advice is appreciated!

You can find what you asre looking for here http://www.employmentlawattorney.com...ancy_leave.pdf . Keep in mind that the CFRA and FMLA sections will not apply. And here http://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/PFL_Eligibility.htm

And here http://www.californiabreastfeeding.org/Laws.html
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Disability Defined

I've looked at these sites. I was hoping someone could break it down for me based on my circumstances. How many weeks, when, paid/unpaid, job security. Reading through all this documentation is confusing.

Does this mean 4 months after giving birth vaginally or c-section or is this for something more serious? What is a Voluntary Plan Insurer? Basically, all I am entitled to is non-paid leave and a position of some sort at my current employer? Can I take the CPDL at the same time as the SDI?

Comment

Did you read the first link? It is pretty straightforward. You get a maximum of 4 months of unpaid job protected leave due to pregnancy and childbirth. How long you personally get, depends on how long you are medically disabled and unable to work. Typically, 6 weeks for a natural delivery and 8 for a C-section. If you have pregnancy complications, it could be longer but no one here would have any way to know if you will or when they might strike. If you go on bedrest, you could use up the 4 months before baby arrives. If you are fortunate, you may be able to work just fime up until the date of delivery.

You can get paid disability benefits during this absence, as long as you otherwise qualify.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X