Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being let go while pregnant in New York.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being let go while pregnant in New York.

Hello,

After a visit to the gynecologist's office, confirming that I'm indeed pregnant with my second child, I received an email from my boss stating that my job is being transitioned and the underlying implication is that I will be soon out of a job. I have not as yet informed anyone that I'm pregnant, as I was preferring to wait until after the 12th week. It was just a terrible coincidence.

It's not the end of the world to perhaps lose this job - it cannot be for cause and I will likely soon find other employment. But the timing is just terrible. I have no idea whether I'm out in 6 months or whether it's immediate or what. I will meet with my boss in a couple weeks to discuss, but I'm preparing for the worst. This is a smaller company with fewer than 50 employees. I have a highly specialized position.

I'd love to have an idea of my rights before discussing the situation further. It occurred to me that there may be need to contact a lawyer. Anyone know if you can be easily let go while pregnant in New York State?

You need to take pregnancy out of the equation. A pregnant woman should be treated the same as any other employee, no better or worse. Your post indicates this happened before anyone knew you were pregnant so it would be legal.

I don't see where a lawyer would help you.

Comment

Fair enough. It was something that was brought up to me by others. I'm not talking about what should be the case - I would in some ways disagree. I am just trying to find out if there are any legal ramifications. If not so be it.

Comment

Anyone know if you can be easily let go while pregnant in New York State?

You can be let go for any reason other than your pregnancy. Since your employer has/had no idea you were pregnant when you were informed your job was being transitioned (and likely eventually eliminated), clearly your pregnancy has absolutely nothing to do with their decision. You obviously can't claim pregnancy discrimination when your employer isn't even aware that you are pregnant.

Comment

Agree with the other responders. Based on what you posted, it would not be illegal to terminate you if it comes to that. You can't be terminated due to being pregnant but you can be terminated if you would have been terminated had you not been pregnant. In this case the employer, at the time of talking to you about your job, didn't even know you were pregnant.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X