no job for me to come back to.. Arkansas California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments?

Don't trust the first lawyer that "thinks" he can get more money "for you" (Who is paying him?). I have been burned more than once by a shyster.

I would find out what the severance package is. It could be that the company found that it could work without you. Ask for their help in a recommendation letter or leads.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
      Comments?

Don't trust the first lawyer that "thinks" he can get more money "for you" (Who is paying him?). I have been burned more than once by a shyster.

I would find out what the severance package is. It could be that the company found that it could work without you. Ask for their help in a recommendation letter or leads.
      Well the severancepackage is 3600...and they did eliminated my position. Im sure they are going to say they could do with out me...but my point is that i was still job protected

Comment

Just because your job is protected by FMLA does not mean the company is restricted from making business decisions while you are on leave. They are still within their rights to eliminate positions that they would have done even if you were working full-time. They just have to prove, if challenged, that they would have made the same decision if you were at work vs. while you were on leave. That might be very hard for a company to prove, however.

In your case I think it *never* hurts to ask for more severance. They are probably trying to get you to sign an agreement in exchange for that money, so they have some incentive there. Keep in mind, however, that you will have to pay a good chunk of whatever you get to that attorney. Will you end up with at least that much more after it's all said & done? For your sake, I hope so. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by richieinca View Post
          Well the severancepackage is 3600...and they did eliminated my position. Im sure they are going to say they could do with out me...but my point is that i was still job protected
          Your job is protected from actions that would not have been taken if you had not been on leave. So you would need to show that if you had not been out, your job would not have been cut.

Severance is not mandatory. It is possible that if you involve an attorney the severance offer would be withdrawn.
          Last edited by HRinMA; 02-09-2012, 05:52 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Comment

Originally posted by HRinMA View Post
            Your job is protected from actions that would not have been taken if you had not been on leave. So you would need to show that if you had not been out, your job would not have been cut.

Severance is not mandatory. It is possible that if you involve an attorney the severance offer would be withdrawn.
            Agreed. Fire the shyster. Ask for company recommendations on a new job. They just might find something internal.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X