Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Can I take the rest of my CA family leave act time? California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I take the rest of my CA family leave act time? California


    I had taken 3 weeks of my CA FLA (family leave act) when my child was first born and now that my wife is going back to work I want to take the rest of my FLA of 3 more weeks, can I do that?
    - If yes, is it under the bonding with child clause or care for family?

    Thanks for the help!

  • #2
    How long ago was the child born?
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


    • #3
      She will be 12 weeks this Friday... (Happy Dad!)


      • #4
        Are you talking about CFRA/FMLA leave or Paid Family Leave under the State disability insurance program? You indicated a total of 6 weeks which makes me believe you're talking about PFL. CFRA is 12 weeks of leave.

        If you are eligible for CFRA, you can take the 12 weeks at any time, but the leave must be completed prior to one year after the birth. This is bonding time. Bonding time must generally be taken in two week increments.

        PFL is not a form of job protected leave; it is how you're paid while on leave. You can collect PFL while you're on CFRA. If you are not CFRA eligible, it is up to your employer as to how much leave you can receive. But if you are given leave by your employer, you can collect PFL during this time.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.