Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Babies born 14 months apart.. leave considered a completely new FMLA? Connecticut

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babies born 14 months apart.. leave considered a completely new FMLA? Connecticut

Just wondering if I could get some help with clarifying some FMLA time. I had a baby in June 2010 and my leave started June 11th. I took 12 weeks. In January of 2011 I was placed on bed rest for 4 weeks for a new pregnancy. Actually, at that time they said my claim had been denied because I had no more FMLA time. Either way I kept my job and returned to work. My recent child was born August 16th 2011 and thats when my new leave started. Just wondering if this delivery counts as a seperate claim with 12 more weeks due to me since my new FMLA did not start until a year after my first claim on June 11. Either way I had received a letter stating that I had 9 weeks of FMLA approved and 0.57 weeks of Ct leave approved and 9 months of pregnancy disability. Then on Friday received another letter stating that my time will be exhausted on 9/27 which is only 6 weeks. I left the company a message that handles our leave but haven't heard back yet. Just curious if anyone has any input...it would be much appreciated! Thank you..

You are entitled to 12 weeks of leave within a 12 month period regardless of how many incidents, illnesses etc occur within that 12 month period. There are four different ways of determining the 12 month period so I cant give you a hard and fast answer. Based on your dates, I think you should be eligible for 12 more weeks.

Lets see what others on here say.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Morgana is correct. You are entitled to a total of 12 weeks of leave time in a 12 month period - not per "incident."

Most employers calculate FMLA time either (1) per calendar year, or (2) per rolling 12 month period. We don't know which method your employer uses - you'll have to ask them.

Comment

Employer determines 12 month period:

The four methods of calculating the 12-month period are as follows:

1. The calendar year;

2. Any fixed 12-month period, such as a fiscal year or one required by state law or a year starting on an employee's anniversary date;

3. The 12-month period measured forward from when an employee first takes FMLA leave;

or
        4. A “rolling” 12-month period measured backward from the date an employee uses any FMLA leave.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X