Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Theoretical Question:What are "non-protected" pregnancy related absences? Connecticut

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Theoretical Question:What are "non-protected" pregnancy related absences? Connecticut

    And what absences are "protected"?

    This is more of a theoretical question than anything and I am just trying to understand the laws as a pregnant worker who has had some pregnancy related absences.

    I really appreciate any explanations of this that you may be able to provide. Thank you.

  • #2
    Outside of my area of expertise, but the starting point is the federal FMLA law. Plus any state equivelants.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


    • #3
      There is no such thing as a "pregnancy-related absence" that is protected, if by that you mean that in all cases, for all women, regardless of circumstances, the absence is protected.

      An absence that falls under FMLA or a state equivalent is protected (be it for pregnancy or any other covered condition). Also, an employer cannot treat pregnancy differently from other short term conditions in similarly situated employees; for example, pneumonia or a broken leg. But pregnancy does not come with any special protections that are not also applicable to other short term conditions.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.