This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasonal Employee California

My wife works for the state of california as a seasonal employee and has been in this position for 5+ years. She is due at the end of the year. I was told by her Admin that she is not eligible for SDI because she does not pay into it. Is this true? What is she eligible for? HELP!

Originally posted by ilistennow View Post
    My wife works for the state of california as a seasonal employee and has been in this position for 5+ years. She is due at the end of the year. I was told by her Admin that she is not eligible for SDI because she does not pay into it. Is this true? What is she eligible for? HELP!
    Eligible workers pay into the program through payroll taxes (a minimum of 18 months of payments is required to receive the maximum amount of benefits).

SDI does not provide coverage for railroad workers, some non-profit employees, most government employees, and employees claiming religious exemptions.

It might be she doesn't qualify since she hasn't paid into it & because she works for the
    state.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Agreed with the last answer. However, it never hurts to file the claim. It works or it does not.

The former employer telling someone they are out of luck is technically not the same thing as the state telling someone that they are out of luck. Sometime the empoyer is mistaken. Sometimes they tell lies. But yes, there is always the possibility of exceptions.

Was CA-SDI deducted from the employee's paycheck?
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

OP said that wife was told doesn't pay into it so I "assume" it wasn't deducted from
        paycheck. (unless told wrong)

However, I do agree that she should file a claim - she "might" be entitled.

http://www.edd.ca.gov:80/disability/..._Insurance.htm

Your wife could call the EDD & see what they say.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

CA state employees do not pay into SDI. The state has its own disability program called Non-Industrial Disability. http://www.dpa.ca.gov/benefits/insur...industrial.htm

Comment

Thanks, Endeavor. I didn't know what the state employee's program was or positive they had one. The OP will be glad to hear there is one.

It didn't seem she qualified for SDI due to not paying into it & working for the state.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X