This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing a pregnant woman to take early leave- Nevada

I am a security guard at (employer) at City Center and 4 months pregnant. I talked to HR about my maternity leave and when I get too big to fit into my uniform or be able to be a security guard, safely. HR basically told me that I will have to go on unpaid leave when I can't fit into my uniform or be able to be on my feet for 8 hours. Is this legal, what can I do to insure I have income and insurance until after the baby is born.
    Last edited by Betty3; 06-13-2011, 05:21 PM. Reason: remove name of employer

HR basically told me that I will have to go on unpaid leave when I can't fit into my uniform or be able to be on my feet for 8 hours.

The uniform thing is stupid (I really can't imagine they don't make maternity uniforms these days) but at such time as you are unable to do your job because you can't be on your feet for 8 hours, then yes, your employer may put you on leave.

Do you qualify for FMLA? If so, there may be a different answer here.

Comment

I agree. If they start giving you issues because of the uniform, then that would be illegal in my opinion. But at the point you are unable to properly do the job, then it is legal for you to be put on leave.

Comment

The only income you would be guaranteed is if you have some type of disability income plan/policy that would pay while you are disabled from your pregnancy.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

It occurs to me that if they refuse to schedule you because you no longer fit into your uniform, you may have a claim for sex discrimination. I'm thinking that if they have male security guards who put on weight and develop a big belly, the male guards just order larger uniforms. If, at a minimum, they don't allow you to do the same, that sure seems like gender discrimination to me.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X