X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N J maternity

Hi ,

I am a bit confused and hoping somebody can help me. I work for a small company (less than 50 employees) in NJ, and will be leaving for maternity leave in August. I will apply for STD (4 weeks before plus 6 weeks after birth, right?), and right after that FLI (which woudl be 6 more weeks), all with some kind of pay, am I correct?

Also, I have 5 days of vacation left and some sick/personal days, which since I really dont think my employer will want me back after my leave, I was thinking of taking them all spread out before my leave in August. I requested only teh 5 vacation days and they are not happy about it and want to "discuss" it later in a meeting, don't I legally have the right to take them? I dont want to loose them...

Thank you for your help, thsi si so confusing!

mpami, you should have started your own new thread - you added your question to another poster's thread. I will start a new thread for you.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

With the company having less than 50 employees, it is not subject to either the federal FMLA or the NJFML Act. Therefore, your job is not protected and they could let you go at any time IF they would do so for a similarly situated employee who needed as much time off as expect to need. They cannot discriminate against you because of your pregnancy, but they don't have to give you any special treatment because of it, either.

STD and FLI do not protect your job. They are how you get paid when you are ON leave.

No, you do not legally have the right to take paid leave such as vacation and sick time. Approval of paid leave is always at the discretion of the employer.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

mpami,

Since you don't have FMLA protection, you might consider working until your due date. Your company may be willing to give you some leave time, but if you are able to work, why ask for more than you need?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X