This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnant and confused in IL Illinois

I am currently 7mo pregnant and a manager at a restaurant. My job doesn't offer paid maternity leave and from what I've read online IL doesn't offer short term disability. I'm originally from CA and have only been here for a few years. Is there some sort of maternity benefit available to me?

Only if your employer offers a private policy (not the same thing as paid maternity leave).
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

What sort of private policy? There is nothing through the state?

Comment

No, there is nothing through the state. Only five states mandate that employers provide disability benefits, or offer benefits through a state program. California is one of the five; Illinois is not.

Few employers offer paid maternity leave (meaning, that you still get your entire pay for the duration of the leave) unless required to by state law (as far as I know, only CA and NJ require it). Many employers offer an STD policy as a benefit, where you receive a portion of your pay (usually between 50% and 70%) if you meet certain medical criteria. Most but not all of the time such a benefit is administered by a third party (Unum, MetLife, etc.) But as I said, in 45 out of 50 states, employers are not mandated to offer such a policy. They are not so mandated in Illinois.

You will have to ask your employer if they provide such a benefit. If they do not, then there is no benefit available to you as the state of IL does not provide disability benefits.

If it turns out that your employer does not offer such a policy, then if I may make a suggestion, you might want to purchase one yourself after the baby is born. Many insurance carriers offer individual policies. You will NOT, at this point in your pregnancy, be able to purchase one that will cover the upcoming birth - it would be considered pre-existing. But it might be useful to have in the future.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Il. doesn't have a state disability income policy. Only a handful of states do. However, your employer could if they wanted offer a private policy (they don't have to). Some employees have their own individual disability income policy that they bought.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Unum

Unfortunately, every employer has different rules regarding how long they will hold an employee's job when they are on disability.

If you are still covered by Unums STD or LTD policy (or if you were recently denied a Unum claim) you are entitled to request an IME (Independent Medical Examination). This is an independent examination by a doctor who does not work for either You or Unum. Most people do not know they have a right to this, and a lot of claims are overturned with this additional information.

Additionally, you may request an APPEAL in writing within 180 days. (However, you must give a WRITTEN request for appeal.)

Finally, if your company had an insurance policy through UNUM and didn't tell you, you have up to 10 years to file a claim through their company. Maternity is normally an automatic approval .. additional time is granted for c-sections and/or pregnancy's which have complications.

Comment

And this thread is also several years old. Watch the dates; do not post to dead threads.

Comment

stimpymcpusser, you so far replied to 3 old threads. Please do not reply to old
                dead threads. Thanks.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X