X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT FMLA vs. FEDERAL FMLA Connecticut

Question:

Our company has three locations: 1 in CT and 2 in NY. Our CT office employee around 50 employees and our two NY offices employ about 350 employees.

Would a CT employee going out on maternity be covered for 12 weeks or 16 weeks?

From what I see on the CT DOL website it doesn't specify that the total number of employees but be employed in CT.

The federal FMLA requires 50 or more employees within a 75 mile radius of where the employee works.

The Ct. FMLA requires the employer to have 75 or more employees total all locations - doesn't have to be just where employee works or within a 75 mi. radius.

If both FMLAs apply, the employee gets the one that is the most favorable to them.

I assume you know there are other requirements that need to be met by employee for both FMLAs other than just the # of employees the employer has.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Adding: Federal FMLA requires up to 12 weeks of unpd. job protected leave in each 12 mo. period - Ct FMLA requires up to 16 weeks for every 2 year period.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you for that response. That made my day. My employer qualifies for FMLA and I'd qualify under the CT FMLA which means I'm entitled for 16 weeks off, hopefully!!

I was just concerned and not sure if the 75 employees had to be in CT or if it was 75 employees TOTAL and it seems like you have confirmed that!

Comment

You're very welcome for the response.

Congrats on your pregnancy.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X