This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Written Warning Massachusetts

I was fired for violating company internet/email policy. I never signed the policy and had been with the company for 11 years. Everyone including my boss and my bosses boss violates these policies.

Suddenly HR decided to enforce these rules. My first offence was because I had logged into my yahoo account, open and deleted spam form an adult website. This triggered them to check my internet usage and was over the allowed amount of personal internet usage. I had a final written warning for both violations.

Second offence was for a personal email with a link to shutter fly. I didn’t look at the pictures and forwarded it to my personal email account. The pictures were from a batcholette party and had adult content. I didn’t know it had adult contact until I got home. My understanding was those pictures would be deleted. HR followed the link and fired me for forwarding the email. I had been doing this with most personal emails for the last 5 months and thought I was handling personal email appropriately. HR didn’t bring up any other emails I had forwarded. HR even admitted that I can’t control people sending me emails, but didn’t really answer how I should handle them. My Bosses boss tried to contact HR to stop this (on his day off) and couldn’t do anything to stop them from firing me.

Two questions, can they legally fire me for that?
    By them following the link to the pictures is that invasion of privacy.

Thanks you for your time
    Beth

1.) Yes, you can legally be fired for that.

2.) No. You have very little expectation of privacy in the workplace, particularly not when using their equipment.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

In at-will employment, you can be terminated at any time for any reason except a reason prohibited by law (ie age, gender, race) or unless you have a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary. It was not illegal to terminate you for violating co. internet/e-mail policies. Also, it doesn't matter that you didn't sign the policy & there was no wrongful invasion of privacy.

Sorry.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X