This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Term Disability/Maternity Leave in Maryland Maryland Massachusetts

I live in MD ( pay no attention to the Massachusetts in the title) and work full time for a small non-profit (5 employees). We don't have maternity leave, nor are we required to follow FMLA because of our size. I recently purchased short term disability insurance with Aflac. Is there such thing as state or federal disability for the weeks after delivering a baby? Is there anything else I can do to prepare us for having a baby and missing work for 2 or so months? We are not pregnant yet, but I am trying to cross all the t's and dot the i's before it happens! Thanks for your help.
    ErinCR
    Last edited by ErinCR; 07-13-2008, 01:51 PM.

I'm sorry but there is no federal or Md. state disability income plan. The only thing you can do is what you have done - buy your own individual DI policy & try to save as much money as you can before the baby gets here.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

At least you're asking beforehand; good for you. You'd be surprised at the number of posters who ask about disability benefits AFTER they've become pregnant which, of course, except in the 5 states to which Betty3 referred, is too late.

Good luck.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Don't forget to check up on child care costs in your area. I will never forget one of my male coworkers discussing plans for his first new baby with some of us moms at work, and being staggered to find that most of us paid $120-$140 a week for infant care. Talk to some of the moms you know, or call a local daycare center and find out what's normal for your area. Try putting that aside for a couple of months and see what it does to your budget.
        CarynG
        Last edited by CarynG; 07-14-2008, 05:01 PM. Reason: used <> for markup instead of []

Comment

In my area, expect to pay twice that. I'm in MD too. The cost of daycare in Bethesda is a lot different than on the Eastern Shore or Garrett County. You can get an idea what the costs are for your area here http://www.mdchildcare.org/mdcfc/childcare/choose.html
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X