This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nebraska state benefits

My situations is as follows. The company I work for (considerably over 50 employees) gives its employees 2 weeks paid maternity leave. However, you can't combine that with STD, LTD, PTO, or Supplemental.

I need to take more time off than 2 weeks but cannot afford to be without income. Does Nebraska provide STD or something like it? Are there any other options for me? Please help! Due in May

Only 5 states have state disability programs and Nebraska is not one of them. Does the company sponsor a short-term disability plan and you declined it? Any disability policy you could purchase now, either on your own or through a company-sponsored plan (even if you were allowed to enroll outside of the open enrollment period) would nearly certainly exclude your pregnancy as a pre-existing condition. Sorry.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 11-08-2007, 01:17 PM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You stated that you can't combine paid maternity leave with STD but would your company allow STD (if you accepted it) to kick in after your paid leave ends? I can see why they wouldn't want you to receive both at the same time (double-dipping) but what about consecutively?
      Last edited by MilCivHR; 11-09-2007, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I'm not clear on whether you even HAVE a disability policy already. It didn't sound like you did.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

No, that's the thing. It's not a combination of the two, it's using the paid leave and then STD kicking in that they won't allow. And I don't even have STD right now and even if I were to apply now pregnancy is considered pre-exsisting.

It pretty much looks like I am screwed =/

Comment

Originally posted by palegothic View Post
            No, that's the thing. It's not a combination of the two, it's using the paid leave and then STD kicking in that they won't allow. And I don't even have STD right now and even if I were to apply now pregnancy is considered pre-exsisting.

It pretty much looks like I am screwed =/
            Does the company offer STD?

By the way, the company doesn't pay STD - the insurance company does. The company doesn't dictate when STD pays (or doesn't).
            Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

OK, so you have a disability policy. I don't know of any state law that specifically prohibits supplementing STD benefit with paid time off, so it's up to the company. If the company policy is that paid time off cannot be used while you are on STD, that would be a legal policy.

Comment

Originally posted by palegothic View Post
                And I don't even have STD right now and even if I were to apply now pregnancy is considered pre-exsisting.
                To tell you the truth, I'm still not positive if she does or doesn't have a STD policy.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X