This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisiana Maternity leave Louisiana

I work part-timefor a company that has more than 50 employees in 3 locations. I was told when I found out I was pregnant that I had 8 weeks of unpaid maternity leave. Then I was put on bed rest about 5 weeks before I delivered & was told I would get 6 weeks of unpaid leave. I inquired about possibly getting 8 weeks off since I knew I would probably have a section & was told I only can take 6 weeks if I want my position back. Another employee recently had a section & took off2 weeks prior to delivery & was given an additional 8 weeks of unpaid leave. I was told it was because her position was easier to fill. My husbands employer told him 6 weeks for a regular delivery & 8 weeks for a section. I have heard this from every employer except my current one. Is this correct? If so where can I find the information that states this? Do they still have to give me my position & original schedule back? Also while I was on prescribed bed rest I missed mandatory meetings and as a result I was given a written notice that if I miss another one I would be terminated--is this legal???

Did you qualify for FMLA - up to 12 mos. unpd. leave:
    did you work for your employer for at least 12 mos.; did you work 1,250 hrs. for the employer in the 12 mos. immediately preceding the leave; do you work in a location with 50 or more employees within a 75-mile radius?

Also, in La. employers with 25 or more employees within La. must allow pregnant employees unpaid leave of up to 6 wks. for a normal delivery & up to 4 mos. if medically necessary. All pregnant employees are eligible for pregnancy/maternity leave.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Yes we have 50 or more employees within a 75 mile radius. Yes I have worked for 12 months prior to leave. No, I have not worked1250 hours prior to leave. Are they required to give me my previous work schedule back upon my return?

Comment

Originally posted by ccattan View Post
        Yes we have 50 or more employees within a 75 mile radius. Yes I have worked for 12 months prior to leave. No, I have not worked1250 hours prior to leave. Are they required to give me my previous work schedule back upon my return?
        No. The only protection that I am aware of for you would be FMLA, which you are not eligible for. If your employer offers you ANY benefits, then it is because they choose to, not because they're required to.

FYI: People who have c-sections generally get the same amount of disability leave as people who deliver naturally.

edit: Betty's information supercedes mine. I didn't realize that LA had a pregnancy policy. In any case, the MOST that they are required to give you is the 6 weeks.
        Last edited by moburkes; 10-07-2007, 07:48 PM.
        Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X