Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double-time pay for some and not others?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoonk
    replied
    Understood.Thanks.

I understand and agree. Thanks much for the quick responses.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    No, you are not. They do not HAVE to pay double time at all, or even time and a half unless you work over 40 hours in a week. Contrary to what a great many people appear to believe, there is no law in 47 out of 50 states requiring premium pay for work on a weekend or holiday, and even in the three states that do have such a requirement, it does not apply to call centers or on Easter Sunday.

If they choose to pay premium only to those employees who were not normally scheduled to work over the weekend, they may do so.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Not legally, no. It is common to pay incentives to people to get them to come in on weekends and holidays for an out-of-the-ordinary situation. Since you were already scheduled to work that weekend, and had agreed to the compensation you would get for it, why would you get paid the incentive?

There is nothing illegal about this and, frankly, I don't think it unfair either.

Leave a comment:

• Hoonk
    started a topic Double-time pay for some and not others?

Double-time pay for some and not others?

Hello. I work for a call center in VA. The call center has different departments which handles certain types of calls for the company's clients. There is a sales department, a technical support department, and a Pharmacutical department. The company's clients usually pay on a per call basis, but it recently picked up a temporary contract which paid a certain amount per employee, per hour that they were available for calls. This contract lasted 4 days and was over the Easter weekend.

So that the company could make as much money as possible from the contract, they offered an incentive to pay time and a half for people from any of the departments to take calls on Saturday and double time pay to work on Easter Sunday as long as it was outside of their current work schedule ( we are considered part-time and are scheduled about 37 hours a week). However, they only offered this to people who will be working within the new temporary contract. In addition to the incentive, they were also paying overtime if you worked beyond 40 hours.

I work every weekend in the technical support department and was already scheduled to work over the Easter holiday so was not able to work on the new contract unless I came in early or worked beyond my scheduled shift. Many of us were not able to put in the extra hours,so basically some employees were paid extra money to work on Saturday and Easter Sunday while others worked at regular pay.

It just doesn't seem right to me. Are we all entitled to this extra pay if we worked over the holiday weekend?

Thanks in advance.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X