X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Week Notice

Hi,

I have been working at My Company for about 3.5 years and I have accumulated 9 vacation days. I am putting In My 2 week notice, and I would like to get those Vacation days. Can I use the vacation days as part of the 2 week notice. So I would really only have to work a day. Is that legal

Let Me Know

Thanks
    Derek

2 week notice

I don't know what state you are in (because there is a different answer in some states). Nevertheless, the decision as to using vacation during your notice period is entirely up to your employer. (In some states, vacation can't be forfeited; in which case, you may not be able to use your vacation but you can get the cost.)
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

2 Week Notice

I Live In Minnesota

Derek

Comment

Minnesota

Unfortunately, Minnesota is not one of the states that requires cash out of vacation at the time of termination.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Hi,

What are My options then as far as the vacation time. Can I take it whenever I want even if it falls in the 2 week notice time

Let Me Know

Thanks
          Derek

Comment

Derek, vacation approval is at the discretion of the employer. They can either grant or refuse it, either way is legal.

Comment

If you are looking for a way it can be GUARANTEED that you receive your vacation time, there isn't one. The employer does not have to allow you to take it as part of your notice and does not have to pay it out on termination unless company policy so states.

You're just going to have to take your chances.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X