This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ga- Part time help made to sell off the clock

Georgia- Is it legal to require part-time employees (18 year olds) to sell ads on their own time? They are paid a commission on the sales, but were told if they did not sell at least 10 ads they would be terminated.

While out selling these ads, if they are in an accident in their personal vehicles is this considered workers compensation?

Are these individuals employees? Are taxes being deducted from their paychecks?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Ga-part time help made to sell off the clock

Sorry I did not make that clear.........
      Yes, they are hourly part time employees who work other jobs for the employer- i.e. retail sells clerk, birthday hostess, ball feeder etc.
      My daughter works 16-23 hours per week.

Comment

OK, so I need more info, sorry. When they are working at an hourly rate, what is that rate? When they are selling ads, what is their compensation; an hourly rate or commission only? Either way, if they are performing work, they are NOT working on their own time; they are working so they should be covered by worker's comp, and they must be paid at least minimum wage for all hours worked in a workweek, including while they are selling ads.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Ga-Part time help made to sell off the clock

My daughter is paid $ 6.00 an hour when she is on the schedule to work. When not scheduled to work they expect her to go out to local businesses in her spare time (off the clock) and attempt to sell these ads. She does not receive hourly pay for the time spent selling the ads. She is only compensated IF she sells an ad (10% of the cost of the ad).

The owner told the employees to turn in a list of 10 businesses they were planning to sell an ad to- when an employee did not turn in the list they were terminated. My daughter turned in the list, but has not had time to sell any ads and she feels like she will be next to get terminated. I am trying to find out if this is grounds for termination. She is only 18, but I do not want a termination on her record. She has very little free time, she is either working, at school or keeping stats for the highschool baseball team and what little time she has should not be spent working for free.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X