X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Work week pay question

Hey there,

Can someone direct me to the answer to these questions for a CA employer:

1. If a person starts work in one pay period (i.e., 10pm on Friday and works until 5am on Sat and payperiod ends on Friday at 11:59pm), how do we pay them? Do we pay them all hours or only hours that fall within the payperiod?

2. How does this apply to overtime payment (CA is a 8 hour/40 hr workweek OT state)?

Thanks for your help (no sarcastic answers needed!),

tracyjj

1. You would still pay them by pay period. If the pay period ends 2 hours after they start, then you pay thme for 2 hours for that pay period.

2 Your workweek wouldn't change just because the person started toward the end of it. The workweek for OT purposes stays the same.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thanks Ellen

That's what I thought. Believe it or not, I called someone from the CA's Dept of Labor Standards Enforcement yesterday and she told me the opposite. But, she was very condesending and rude and I didn't trust her source. If you have a place where you can point me to to verify this, that would be great. But, I believe you are right! Thanks again, tracyjj

Comment

The largest measurement of time for purposes of determining overtime is the workweek, the 7-consecutive day period as defined by the employer. In California, there is also daily overtime, which again, is the same concept, but for a 24-hour period.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/Title_...CFR778.105.htm
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X