This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Question?

Hello I work in Indiana for a comany. I worked at other jobs that allowed you to work more than 9 hrs a day. Such as at a foundry where I worked 16 hrs a day for 7 days. But anyways this comapany saya its against the state law for you to work more than 10hrs a day? What I would like to see is when we have mandatory ovetime I would likfe to stay and work my shift even if it means a double. Cause gas mileage is killing me and also I want to get it over. Instead of workin my shift than having to get up few hours later and going back in. For instance they just had a volunteer sheet come up for thirds. I worjk seconds and now because they wont let me work through the third shift I have to go home which takes me every bit of a half hr one way to just turn around and go back. So what is the total amount of hours can you actually work in one day?

Thanks again,
    Draco

The total number of hours you can be required to work, in most circumstances, is 24. There are some industry specific exceptions to that but for the most part the law does not limit the number of hours an employee can be required to work in a day.

However, the fact that your employer is mistaken about the state law (assuming that they are - there may yet be something industry-specific in your state) does not mean that they have to allow you to work the number of hours you want to work. If they want to restrict you to ten hours a day, then you are restricted to ten hours a day. THEY decide what hours you work, not you.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Ok thats fine. I dont know if it matters or not but we only get 2 20 min breaks. Since it is a warehouse and there is a moderately amount of heavy machinery use around. some people were wandering also if that affects anything? We just want to be able to stay there and work a double instead of waitin a few hrs and then havin to turn around and go back.

Comment

No, that doesn't change a thing. In your state, there are no mandatory breaks; they are at the option of the employer. But nothing changes the fact that it is your employer who decides what hours you work, what breaks you take and when, and whether you are allowed to work a double shift.

You are free to explain your position to your employer and see if they are willing to work with you, but there is nothing in the law that gives you the right to force them to allow you to work the hours you want. They are the ones who sign the paychecks; they get to decide what hours they are going to pay for.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

OK Thanks Its not that I am trying to force them to allow me to do a double a shift. Its that tehre telling us the ones that want to do it that its against indiana law and I wantede to know if its true or not cause they have been knowin to lie to us in the past about other topics.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X