This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about withholding first paycheck in CT

My employer withheld my first paycheck. Why?
    Not only did my employer withhold my first paycheck, I never received it upon my departure. I gave two weeks' notice.
    Is there a course of action?

Not nearly enough detail. When did you start? What was your last day worked? How often were you paid? Were you paid current (paid for time worked through the check date) or in arrears (check includes pay for a prior pay period)?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

First day worked: Saturday
      Last day worked: Friday
      Paid on Fridays
      First 3 weeks paid weekly, thereafter bi-weekly
      Paid in arrears
      Thank you.

Comment

I'm still somewhat confused about the weekly/biweekly thing. All I can tell you at this point is, if you have not been paid all the wages you are owed, you can file a claim for unpaid wages with the state Dept. of Labor.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Example:

First day worked: Saturday 2/4

Pay day: Friday 2/10 (was not paid)
          Pay day: Friday 2/17 (received first paycheck)
          Pay day: Friday 2/24 (received second paycheck)
          Pay day: Friday 3/3 (received third paycheck)

Policy change: weekly paychecks-->bi-weekly paychecks

Pay day: Friday 3/17 (received fourth paycheck)
          Pay day: Friday 3/31 (received fifth paycheck)

Last day worked: Friday 4/7

Thanks for the information!

Comment

OK, that helps. Here's what I would have expected:

First day worked: Saturday 2/4

Pay day: Friday 2/10 (was not paid)-makes sense; you did not work the week that ended 2/3
            Pay day: Friday 2/17 (received first paycheck)-one week's pay for the week ended 2/10, I assume
            Pay day: Friday 2/24 (received second paycheck)one week's pay for the week ended 2/17
            Pay day: Friday 3/3 (received third paycheck)-one week's pay for the week ended 2/24

Policy change: weekly paychecks-->bi-weekly paychecks

Pay day: Friday 3/17 (received fourth paycheck)-two week's pay for the two weeks ended 3/10
            Pay day: Friday 3/31 (received fifth paycheck)-two weeks pay for the two weeks ended 3/24

Last day worked: Friday 4/7-your check is due on the regularly scheduled payday for the pay period ending 4/7, so it will be due 4/14.

If this is what happened/will happen, you will have been paid in full, on time.

Comment

When did I receive my paycheck for the week ended 3/3? When did I receive my paycheck for the week ended 3/3? In my example, if you count the number of weeks worked and the number of weeks covered by the paychecks, you'll conclude that only 8 out of the 9 weeks worked were paid.

On a separate note: I'm acknowledging that a paycheck was received for the week ended 4/14, but it was for only 32 hours of work.
              Last edited by davidss; 02-27-2006, 04:07 PM.

Comment

No, you said you were switched to biweekly. Therefore, the check dated 3/17 should have been for the TWO weeks ended 3/3 and 3/10. And so forth.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X