X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call Monitoring/smoke breaks

Pennsylvania

#1. I'm looking for information about Call Monitoring laws.I did search this website and found some info from 2004 which was helpful. The company I work for is going to implement a call monitoring practice in our call center. If current employees refuse to sign the acknowledgement form, can they be disciplined up to and including termination? Just want to double-check.

#2. Employees are given 2 15-minute paid breaks and 60 minutes unpaid for lunch. Smoking employees sometimes take up to 8 breaks during the day. Since technically they are entitled to take 90 minutes during the day, can the employer require smoking employees to use the bank of 90 minutes to cover all their breaks during the day? It seems unfair for the smoker to get more break time than a non-smoker.

Thanks - as always.

The answer to both your questions is yes. An employee can legally be fired for not signing an acknowledgement of a policy change. That is an UNBELIEVEABLY generous break policy; there is no reason on earth why smokers should be allowed to take still more time.

BTW, the employer can ALSO forbid the smokers from taking the extra breaks and discipline them if they do. Nothing whatsoever in the law of any state requires an employer to provide smoke breaks.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X