This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking money out of paycheck???

I can't find anything about this on any labor law website, so I am wondering if someone here can help. I work as a Medical Assistant/Lab Tech at a private doctors office. We deal with patient co-pays and account payments on a daily basis. The medical assistant working the "front desk" is responsible for collecting patient co pay at the time of the visit. I gave my month notice 2 weeks ago, and today the office manager informed me that one day back in October I was $40.00 short of money for the day. Obviously, I can't explain why I was short money in October sometime in late January. After discussing it with the doctor, the office manager informed me that they are going to be taking the money out of my last paycheck. Is this even legal? Can they take my wages out of my check without my permission? Anyone, someone...HELP.

One angry Medical Assistant.

Depends on your state as to whether this is prohibited or not. What state?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I live in Southern California..The office is located in Long Beach, Ca (Southern California as well).
      Last edited by littlevonny; 01-31-2006, 06:08 AM. Reason: add more text

Comment

Generally speaking, California law specifically prohibits such deductions.
        http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Deductions.htm
        See specifically, question #2.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X