Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Forced to take vacation time when office is closed for holidays

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Forced to take vacation time when office is closed for holidays

    I work in Colorado for a small engineering corporation as a secretary. I am paid hourly. This year, in November, we were told that the office would be closed during the entire week following Christmas. Two of these days would be unpaid, but we were not allowed to come in to work. We were given the option to use vacation time or take unpaid days. As I hadn't been working there very long, I was forced to take unpaid days since I didn't have enough vacation time to cover the time out of the office.

    They barely pay me enough to live on as it is! These two days just about ruined me. Not that the law cares a whit about my problems. LOL.

    The question is, did they have the legal right to force us to take that vacation/unpaid leave especially since we were given only two months notice to save up that time?

  • #2
    Yes, they did. It is their option to close the office if they choose to. They have no legal obligation to pay you when you do not work. They are not required to provide you with vacation at all; they get to decide when and how you use it.

    I'm not unsympathetic to your position but your employer violated no laws.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.