Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can teacher be forced to work regular unpaid hours at school after end of regular day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can teacher be forced to work regular unpaid hours at school after end of regular day

I am a continuing-contract teacher in South Carolina and we are being required to stay at least an hour and sometimes an hour and a half every Wednesday. One of these monthly Wednesdays is a faculty meeting, but the others required are for continuing education, departmental meetings, and now for our writing our own benchmark tests (free labor?). I think this is unreasonable and should be paid or our given at least paid comp. time off.

The employee handbook says that reasonable duties, PTA meetings, school functions are expected to be attended--which I have no problem with.

Quoted from the handbook: "The Board may consider activities and services that make major demands on a teacher's extra time as an extra duty assignment. The Board may compensate such assignments in accordance with the Board's supplementary pay schedule which is annually considered by the board."

How do I proceed now?

With whatever your contract says. Most teachers can be considered "exempt" under the Professional exemption, and therefore not legally entitled to additional compensation over and above their regular salary, regardless of how many hours worked.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Even if the district handbook says regularly scheduled after-hours meetings may be compensed if the Board approves? All the schools in our district are not doing this. It seems that requiring an employee to work extra hours for no additional pay is at least immoral if not illegal.

Flip

Comment

The key word here might be "may". Again, your contract is going to control. It is very rare that an employee handbook rises to the level of a bona fide contract.

So, are you exempt?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X