Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

What are the laws regarding COBRA?

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What are the laws regarding COBRA?

    I quit my job in Michigan on April 27. I still have not received my COBRA information from my former employer or the 401K/Retirement information. My current employer does not start medical benefits until the 7th month of employement, so I am currently out of luck. They said it was because I did not give them my forwarding address. I have proof via an email that I sent them this information in May. What recourse do I have? How do I protect myself from losing my 401K and retirement money?

  • #2

    They cannot deny you the COBRA coverage if they did not forward the information to you appropriately. You can contact the US Department of Labor for more information.

    As far as the 401(k)/retirement, your vested amount is yours, regardless of the timeline. You can approach your former employer and request a transfer form, to transfer into the new employer's 401(k) (if that is permitted by their plan) or to another account such as offered by a bank or other financial institution.
    Lillian Connell

    Forum Moderator


    • #3
      Employers have 45 days from when your coverage ends. Did they have your current address when you left?

      Also, many 401-k providors have on-line access or at least 1-800 #'s, you can contact them and ask for the forms to roll it over or cash it out. They will contact the employer to check on your employment status.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.