X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time record keeping for salaried employees

Texas

I have just taken over the duties of processing payroll checks. My manager who has just been re-instated as a salaried employee claims he no longer has to keep a timesheet to record hours worked. Is a time sheet required of salaried employees in Texas? I don't want to place myself in a bad situation for cutting a check without proper documentation.

Salaried is only a pay method. What matters is whether he is exempt or non-exempt. But in either case it's up to the company.

The law neither forbids nor requires exempt employees from completing time sheets or clocking in and out. It is entirely up to the employer whether they need to do it or not. Many people mistakenly believe that exempt employees can come and go as they please and that the law prohibits the employer from keeping track of an exempt employee's hours. There is no basis in the law for such a belief. The only thing that would be an issue would be if an exempt employee's pay was altered because of what was on the time sheets.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

This employee is non-exempt; thanks for the feedback

Comment

If the employee is non-exempt, I would expect the employer to require him to keep time sheets whether he's paid on salary or not. The employer is required by law to keep an accurate record of all the hours a non-exempt employee works, regardless of how he is paid.

BTW, a salaried non-exempt employee is still entitled by law to overtime, so it is in the best interest of the employee to keep those time sheets up to date!
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X