This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refusal to pay...Indiana

Per verbal agreement I worked on a project for 9 months. There were e-mails stating my wage, but no formal written agreement. I submitted invoices every month. The response was when my grant money comes through I will pay you. My last invoice was up to $24,000. Employer/ now refusing to pay. Under what statute can I litigate? Do I have any case without written employment agreement?
    Jklono
    Last edited by Jklono; 01-17-2006, 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling error

I assume you were an independent contractor, correct?

Comment

Yes. Initially research, then took over all aspects of the project.

Comment

And they paid you NOTHING for the entire 9 months?

Comment

Long Story

It was a project that involved creating and showing sculptures with serious cultural significance...Hiroshima....Vietnam....Auschwitz.. ....I don't want too get into too much more detail. The man is a professor at a prominent university....there was lots of travel, meeting with photographers, getting permission to sculpt their photos...etc . Project is very complicated scheduled to show in very significant museums. That is a long explanation to say, No, I have not received one cent.

Comment

This is going to depend strictly upon the payment terms specified in your contract.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thats what I mean.......

Do I have a contract, implied....actual...looking back at my e-mails he was very sneaky not to directly acknowledge the terms of our agreement. In Indiana is it statute that work must be paid for? How would I pursue it legally?

Comment

We don't know if you have a legal contract; only an attorney who has seen all the documentation can tell you that. You will probably have to sue him for payment. Since you are not an employee, the DOL cannot help you.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The best thing you can do is to consult a lawyer about this thing. You should have a written contract or else that's a very big problem...

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X