This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairness in small company

I have worked for a small company for 9 years. There is only one other person that has been there longer than me, by one year. Can he have rules that apply to certain people and not others. Out of 9 employees, I've used the least amount of sick time. I'm the only one that came in on their day off last year (4) times to cover for others. Yet, when my review came up I was given a one out of a possible 5 for attendence and was told that I was unwilling to work Saturdays. I am the only tech that works 5 days a week with Saturday as my scheduled day off and I did come in when called. (4) times!!! Most other employees work 3 or 4 days a week and every other Saturday. Two employees with only 1 and 2 years aren't required to work Saturday at all even though they have weekdays off. He also allows everyone to board their pets for free, yet when I was selling my home he charged me 200.00 for 2 cats that are gentle, and then between homes he would not accomadate my pets. I have been a loyal employee. My boss is known to be difficult and he always has someone he treats unfairly. I've watched many people come and go as a result. I'm 49 recently divorced and trying hard to make ends meet. Is there some law that protects people from being treated unfairly? I have seniority and I'm dependable. Can you help?
    Last edited by SearchinMySoul; 06-20-2005, 05:15 AM. Reason: grammar

Fairness

An employer can treat people differently as long as it isn't for reasons such as illegal discrimination on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, disability, national origin, etc. Another required factor is that your employer must meet the definition of employer. At the federal level, it is 15 employees or more for most of the discrimination reasons. Several states bring the number of employees down even further.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X