Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Am I doing the right thing?

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Am I doing the right thing?

    I work for a retail company in HR and I am thinking of taking off the schedule an employee who has been working for my company since July 05. Said employee is under age (17) and has invalid working papers from the state of NJ. Her papers are not stamped by her school which makes them invalid. I am thinking of taking her off the schedule until she can get her papers in order. Am I breaking any NJ laws by doing so?

  • #2
    You are not doing the wrong thing.

    In fact, you are probably saving yourself fees and penalties from the NJDOL.

    As you mentioned, in order for the papers to be valid they must be signed off on by the school district in which the minor resides.

    " minor under 18 years of age shall be employed, permitted, or suffered to work in, about, or in connection with any gainful occupation, unless and until the person employing such minor shall procure and keep on file an employment certificate...issued by the issuing officer of the school district in which the child resides..." NJSA 34:2-21.7

    Without the sign-off by the school district, the working papers are not "issued".

    Hope this helps.

    Last edited by LaborLawNJ; 01-09-2006, 10:33 AM.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.